Mardi Gras Gumbo Competition & Beignets Bake-Off
Tuesday, February 12th, 2013
River Run Village, Keystone Resort
Gather your gumbo pots and deep fryers as Keystone brings a New Orleans style Mardi Gras celebration to River Run with our Annual Gumbo Competition and newly added Beignets Bake-Off. Cook up your secret Gumbo or Beignets recipe for our Judges Panel and vie for the coveted title of Best Gumbo or Beignets in Summit County! NO ENTRY FEE TO PARTICIPATE
Gumbo– 1st place- $400 / 2nd place- $200 / 3rd place- $100 / People’s Choice– Plaque
1. Anything flies! You can get creative or stick to tradition, however we do require that you prepare a roux to call your entry a Gumbo.
2. All Gumbo must be prepared in advance for the competition. We do not have a kitchen available to cook or prepare on site.
3. You must prepare 3 Gallons of Gumbo and supply all equipment needed to serve your product. Crock Pots, Burners, Chafing Dishes with sternos are all acceptable heating devices. Anything requiring more than 15AMPs of electricity MUST be discussed with Event Coordinator prior to the competition.
4. Must provide your own extension cords & power strips. Your booth may not be next to an outlet so make sure to have long cords.
5. KNC will provide you with tasting cups and spoons. Please provide your own napkins.
Judging Criteria as follows:
- Aroma– should smell appetizing
- Appearance– should have an appetizing color
- Consistency– should be a smooth combo of ingredients & roux
- Taste– should taste good
- Aftertaste– should leave a pleasant taste after swallowing *each category is ranked 1-10*
Beignets– 1st place– $150 / Runner-up- $75
1. Sweet or Savory.
2. Pre-cooked or made on site.
3. Provide enough for 200 samples.
GENERAL COMPETITION RULES:
1. No entry fee is required. Each team will be assigned a space with a 10 X 10 tent, 2 tables with linens, tasting cups/spoons & trash.
2. You need to be checked in by 1:30pm. You must be ready to serve by 2:30pm. Details for check-in and load-in will come closer to the event.
3. All contestants must be pre-registered for the competition by February 1st, 2013 no later than 5pm.
4. You must provide your own hand washing station in accordance with Summit County Health Department regulations.
5. Guests will purchase a wristband for $10 in which they will be able to have unlimited tastes from each participating vendor. Proceeds benefit the SRCA. No vendor is to sell any items.
6. We encourage all teams to decorate their booths and dress festively! It is Mardi Gras for Pete's sake!
7. Judges will be voting for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place in the Gumbo Com-petition & 1st place and Runner-up in the Beignets Bake-Off. Guests will be voting on “People’s Choice.”
8. Each team is responsible for clean up of their area and removal of everything brought to the event.
9. KNC will provide you with a container at your tent for People’s Choice voting.
10. Awards will be announced at 5:00pm.
Team or Organization Name:
Address Line 2
State / Province / Region
Postal / Zip Code
Antigua and Barbuda
Bosnia and Herzegovina
British Indian Ocean Territory
Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Republic of the Congo
Papua New Guinea
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Sao Tome and Principe
Trinidad and Tobago
United Arab Emirates
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Virgin Islands, British
Virgin Islands, U.S.
I am registering for:
Electrical Access Needed:
List Items and their Voltage Requirements
I understand that I will supply 3 gallons of gumbo to be served to the judges and guests. The 3 gallons of gumbo can be either Seafood, Non-Seafood or a combination of both. I understand I will supply all ingredients for the Gumbo and that it can be cooked in advance. I also understand that The Keystone Neighbourhood Company will supply the tasting cups and utensils for the gumbo to be served in.
Release of Responsibility:
I agree to indemnify and hold harmless The Keystone Neighbour-hood Company, The Keystone Resort and all its sponsors from all cost, expense and liability arising out of my participation in this event to benefit SRCA. I do hereby waive all claims for damage or loss to my person or property which may be caused by any act or failure to act, by The Keystone Neighbourhood Company, The Key-stone Resort and all its sponsors arising directly or indirectly from my participation in this event; I hereby assume liability for any loss, damage or other liability from such event. The Keystone Neighbour-hood Company and The Keystone Resort reserve the right to make any changes to this agreement with proper notification to myself or a member of my team.
Electronic Signature Below:
Do Not Fill This Out